Monday, April 9, 2012

Music Monday: Titanic Week

I'm declaring it 

Titanic Week 

here at Sing and Don't Be Silent to highlight the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the great ship. I have been fascinated by the Titanic since I was little. I'm drawn to both the time period and the human aspect of this tragic event. Over the years, I've learned many things about what went on during that maiden voyage.

For Music Monday, I thought it only appropriate to have some Titanic themed music. It is often debated whether or not "Nearer My God To Thee" was played as the last song by the string ensemble (even the version is debated, as you'll hear the difference below) before the ship sank. Whether it was played or not, I think it has a haunting feel that captures the mood of the tragedy.

A Night To Remember version from 1958:


Here is the more recent version from the 1997 movie:


They may not have played this particular song, but it seems to be clear that they did play something, and to me that is the most meaningful part of the account. These musicians attempted to keep passengers calm, and gave so many the gift of music in their last moments.

I will be sharing other Titanic related items and thoughts throughout the week!

2 comments:

magie said...

It is such a shame about the loss of the titanic..so sad. They have a new drama about the titanic here (by the same people who did Downton Abbey)..I have just started to watch the first little bit of it. I am not to sure if you will get it over there or not? You would most likely enjoy it though..
Have a lovely day
Magie

Shirley Hatfield said...

If Julian Fellowes is the writing the Titanic drama it will be amazing! He's the kind of screenwriter I would love to be. Thank you Sarah, for such a meaningful post.